Saturday, May. 28, 2022


Grants are a form of financial aid, based on need, which do not have to be repaid. See the list below for federal grants and state grants that you may qualify for to help pay for college. For many of them, you may have to contact your school's financial aid office for assistance in applying.

Federal Grants

  • Federal Pell Grant Program
    This program provides need-based grants to low-income undergraduate and certain postbaccalaureate students to promote access to postsecondary education. The maximum Pell grant for the 2010-11 award year is $5,550, and the amount depends on your financial need, costs to attend school, status as a full-time or part-time student and plans to attend school for a full academic year or less. Find out more at Federal Student Aid.

  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
    Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants are for undergraduates with exceptional financial need and Pell Grant recipients with the lowest EFCs will be the first to get FSEOGs. If you qualify, you can receive between $100 and $4,000 a year, depending on when you apply, your financial need, the funding at the school you're attending and the policies of the financial aid office at your school.

  • Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH Grant)
    The TEACH Grant is a student aid grant program for undergraduate, post-baccalaureate or graduate students who plan to teach at least four years in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families. Those who qualify may receive up to $4,000 per year. To receive a TEACH Grant, you must attend a participating college, meet certain academic achievement requirements and sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve. The Federal Student Aid website notes that if the required teaching obligation is not completed, the grant must be repaid as a Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. Funds depend on availability at your college. For more information, go to the TEACH Grant website or see the TEACH Fact Sheet (pdf).

  • Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants
    Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants provide money to college or career school students to help pay their education expenses, similar to other federal grants, though they have special eligibility criteria. You may be eligible for this type of grant if your parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of September 11, and if you were under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of your parent's or guardian's death. If you qualify, you can receive up to the amount of a maximum Federal Pell Grant for the award year.

See more grant opportunities

  • State-Based College Grants
    This great resource from lists the institutions and programs in each state that offer funding for undergraduate and graduate students. Click on a state to see scholarships, grants and other funding opportunities available in that specific state.

  • FinAid
    Check out the many resources FinAid has to offer, including grant information online, handouts, grant databases, publications, government grants and miscellaneous grant-related resources.

  • Institute of International Education
    Click on a field of study or a geographic destination to see a comprehensive list of scholarships and other funding opportunities. Note that many of these opportunities have a global focus.